Call Today 315-741-5946

Experienced, Reliable and Responsive Representation

With more than 30 years of trial experience, attorney Terry J. Kirwan provides seasoned counsel and advocacy to individuals and business owners in Upstate New York.

What should I do when confronted with a non-compete agreement?

On Behalf of | Jun 8, 2021 | Business Law |

Has the company you work for asked you to sign a non-compete agreement, even if you are a part-time employee? Many New York companies have started the practice for all kinds of fields, but you should think twice about putting your signature on the dotted line no matter what kind of position you have.

Non-compete agreements limit job mobility

Even if you are not in the job market at the moment, many workplaces have begun to ask employees such as fitness instructors, camp counselors and similar positions. What was once limited to executives and high-paying positions has now come down to lower-paying positions. While you may be tempted to sign when confronted with a non-compete agreement, this business and corporate law tactic only benefits business interests, not your own.

Legal ramification of non-compete agreements

Employees commonly face non-compete agreements at an annual review, especially when faced with a raise. These clauses generally prevent you from working for a direct competitor for a specified amount of time after leaving the company. Some non-compete agreements also as that you do not reveal company secrets. When faced with one, your best option is to ask for a copy of the agreement so you can review it. This tactic is especially important when pair with a job offer as you may pigeonhole yourself into an untenable position.

Do you need a lawyer for non-compete agreements?

The answer is maybe. As a growing practice in business and commercial law, non-compete agreements have their place. At the same time, you need to look out for your best interests.

Having a legal professional at least review the language in your contract can be beneficial. By doing so, you may be able to negotiate aspects of the clause out of your contract.

FindLaw Network